Thursday, December 31, 2009

What advice can you give a Southern girl who is moving to NYC in a few months? What do I need to expect?

I want to know what it is like there and how I can prepare for the people and city. Any tips/suggestions?What advice can you give a Southern girl who is moving to NYC in a few months? What do I need to expect?
The rhythm of life in NYC is SUPER fast. People walk, talk and live fast over there. Most people are nice but they might be rough if they are in a hurry or feel threatened so don't make rash decisions about anyone. You will meet people from every race, creed and color on the planet so this will be very interesting. Since most people came from somewhere else you won't have any trouble finding someone to show you the ropes. Traffic is impossible so learn to take the subway instead of driving (that's how real New Yorkers live). The cost of living is astronomical so be ready to pay a lot to live in a tiny apartment unless you're willing to go live in the boroughs or New Jersey. Most neighborhoods have small grocery stores instead of supermarkets so think about getting a shopping cart it you need lots of groceries. You will have a chance to do it all and see it all and this wil be an experience you'll never forget.What advice can you give a Southern girl who is moving to NYC in a few months? What do I need to expect?
I assume you come from a smaller, lesser-known town down south. Well, if that is so (and correct me if it is not), then you need to get used to a lot of people. And I mean A LOT of people. And some of these people aren't very friendly. If you're walking in the street, and someone bumps into you, very few actually stop and ask if you're okay. Expect that.





Expect a lot of fun things to do. There are endless possibilities of what you can do, where you can eat, etc. when you're living in the big city, and that can be a bit of a change from down south, if I'm not mistaken.





All in all, you need to expect A LOT of different changes, many HUGE, like the entire fact that you're moving to one of the most populated cities in the country, and many smaller ones that one would deal with when moving houses; you'll need to adjust to a new school, new friends, new people, new enviornment. It can be a little scary.





I hope I helped, and I don't mean to intimidate if it feels as though I am. NYC is one of the greatest places to live, and I'm just trying to get you used to what you might have to deal with on a day to day basis. Hope I've helped otherwise. Enjoy the big city!!
Going out is the norm. If you stay in you will feel restless. And then you blow your budget. Speaking of, budget your money carefully because everything is more expensive here -- not just apartments, but stupid things like Starbucks and doing your laundry. A $12 hamburger is the norm, not unheard of.

No comments:

Post a Comment