Thursday, December 31, 2009

What advice do you have for babysitting an autistic girl?

She's 3,and I'm going to be watching her some Saturday nights.It's not diagnosed,but I think she has it,and my mom agrees,she used to work with them for a living.It's not really bad though,like mild.What advice?What advice do you have for babysitting an autistic girl?
be patient!!





I worked with a boy with autism, it was a rough first few weeks while he got used to me and used to the subtle differences between me and his mom. Try to figure out his quirks.. the quicker you do the quicker things will start to go smoothly.. little things, like leaving the tap running when he was brushing his teeth, or cutting his hotdogs up into 5 length wise peices ... not 4 not 6.. 5! these were all little things that his mom could not possibly tell me every little quirk, as she likley didnt even notice them any more...


Have fun! Children with Autsim are fantastic kids, who will teach you a lot about yourself in the process of teaching you about themselves. :DWhat advice do you have for babysitting an autistic girl?
Ask her parents if there's a particular routine they usually follow, and whether she has any favourite things to watch or play. Just make sure to be extra patient if she does fuss over something, and you should be fine! PDD children may have some difficulty with social interaction, but since it sounds like a casual setting with only the two of you, I wouldn't be too concerned.
As a mother of 2 Autistic children I can tell you that the parents should already be giving you tips on what to do. Autistic children have poor evening and sleep routines (usually) so find out if she takes any meds. or what things help her to calm down and/or sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment