Friday, April 30, 2010

Any parents out there with advice for a mom w/ a normal, healthy 11 yo girl refusing to learn to ride a bike?

I know she's convinced herself of far more danger than really exsists, and I also know she could do fine. She already rides a scooter, and she can skate too. She resists all my attempts to move on to a bicycle, which our family would like to do together (if all the family participates) Should I just let it go? I don't want to force her, or do I? Never ran into this problem before with my older kids. It has me a bit frustrated.Any parents out there with advice for a mom w/ a normal, healthy 11 yo girl refusing to learn to ride a bike?
Hey I did the same thing when I was little. No clue why. I rode a scooter for forever while the whole family biked. My parents would always bring my bike and just leave it in the car. I finally got tired of being left behind (they refused to wait for me except for to cross the street) and I told my parents I wanted to learn how to ride the bike. There was nothing to it since I already had the balance part down because of the scooter.





I say buy her a bike and have it available. Then leave her silly little butt. She will get tired of being left behind and decide to do it on her own. It always goes much better if the kid decided to do it instead of being pushed (not that you are). Good luck.Any parents out there with advice for a mom w/ a normal, healthy 11 yo girl refusing to learn to ride a bike?
Please, do not force her. Instead, adapt the family program to receive a skate or a scooter instead of a bicycle.
just let it go.....
Her balance might not be as good as the other children. My youngest daughter doesn't ride a bike and I don't think that she should have to learn if she doesn't want to. My daughter is almost 15. Is riding a bike that important in the cycle of life? I would like her to lean but it's up to her to do what is most comfortable for her. There are some issues that demand we step in and make them do certain things. If we pick on them for the small issues like bike riding than when we need them to listen to us on big issues like drugs and sex, they may not listen because they've learned to tune us out. So since it's not going to make a big difference in her life I'd let her decided what to do. If it becomes important enough to learn she'll learn. My mom learned when she was in her fifties.. I wish your daughter luck but I wouldn't push it .
I'm not a mom... I'm even better I'm a kid(13 years old to be exact-but i act like im 5 :) hehe)





To help your daughter try this.


First off double check with her why she dosn't want to learn to ride. She might have heard a scary story about something that happened to someone riding a bike and now she has developed a fear.(My friend didn't want to learn to ride because of a story on the news but we showed her that if you ware a helmet and stay on the side walks when your on big streets we had her riding in no time.)*TIP if she does have a fear and it's become unhealthy amybe you should look into therapy*





If that's not the case sometimes the child just might not be interested, If this is the case then what can you do.Swimming dosn't appeal to some people so they never learn to swim. What can you do.





If there is any other reason she dosn't want to learn then try to work through it.





Forcing her will get you no where if she dosn't want to get on a bike she's not a 3 year old that you can pick up and put down where ever you want she's 11 and is she has a good reason she dosn't want to learn then I wouldn't push it'll just end in an argument. Even if you don't like the reason then encourage her but still don't push her to do something she dosn't want to do.





Good Luck! I hope you get to go on that family ride soon!
OK, First off, if she dosn't want to, don't make her! Last April, (Of '06) I fell off my bike, twisted my leg all the way around, broke both bones in my lowed leg, and now have two rods drilled into my bones! I was just riding down a quiet bike path too! No weird stunt crap! So I too have sworn off bikes at a young age!
she should learn, cuz when she's in high school gym class sometimes they make you ride bikes and if you cant that will bring her grade down. and she should learn now cuz in the future she might be made fun of cuz she cant ride a bike. most kids learn at age 8-10.

No comments:

Post a Comment